Instantly calculate the cost and waste savings of reusable oil absorbents over disposables.
If you purchase disposable oil absorbent matting, pads, socks and pillows for the leaks, drips and spills in your facility, you know that purchasing costs can add up quickly. You also know that properly disposing of the absorbents can cost just as much, if not more, as the product itself.
The good news is, switching to reusable, professionally laundered absorbents as the environmentally-preferred alternative is not only better for your waste reduction goals, but also your bottom line.
How can reusable absorbents cost less?
Reusable absorbents may initially seem more expensive because they have service costs built into their program for ongoing pick-up, delivery and laundering. But when you take into account the factors listed below, the cost scale shifts in favor of reusable absorbents.
- Disposal costs: Special waste handling for single use absorbents can range anywhere from $30 a drum to upwards of $275. Incineration typically starts at $80 a drum, and goes up from there. The variance is due primarily to geography.
- Absorbency: Reusable absorbents are extremely durable and absorb more fluid volume because they are designed to withstand industrial laundering. In absorbency testing, they absorb 2-3 times more than disposables, requiring significantly fewer absorbents to get the job done.
How the tool works
To demonstrate the cost difference, ITU AbsorbTech developed the SorbIts® Savings Calculator. Companies can enter the quantity of disposable absorbents they purchase in a year in four different categories – granular absorbents, rolls, pads, and socks. They can also enter their disposal type (incineration or special waste), as well as number of times they purchase absorbents in a year.
The following annual numbers are calculated based on company input:
- Gallon of oil (industrial non-hazardous fluid) absorbed
- Drums of disposable product generated
- Tons of waste sent to landfill
- Disposal cost
- Labor cost (ordering, manifesting, and clean-up time)
- Projected cost savings with reusable SorbIts®
- Projected waste reduction with reusable SorbIts®
While the calculator is just an estimate, several companies in a wide variety of industrial settings have confirmed that the numbers are accurate. Conservative numbers were used in order to maintain integrity of the tool. Here are the assumptions made with this cost estimate tool.
- The lowest published prices for one of the leading brands of disposable absorbents was utilized.
- Waste disposal expense per drum is $90 for incineration and $50 for special waste hauling. Based on actual invoices.
- For labor, a purchase order (receiving, stocking, inventory) takes 15 minutes.
- Clean-up for 100 pads takes 20 minutes, 40 socks takes 20 minutes, and 40 lbs of oil dry takes 15 minutes.
- Fully burdened labor is $25/hr.
The calculator also assumes proper placement and use of absorbents. A facility assessment may identify areas that have too many or too few absorbents, or mismanagement (such as over-saturation) of the absorbents currently in place.
Available to anyone
The calculator is available to anyone. To try it, please visit http://www.ituabsorbtech.com/savings-calculator.
SorbIts® is the world’s leading brand for reusable oil absorbent floor mats, pads and socks. Manufacturers use SorbIts® to soak up waste oils on the plant floor to prevent slips and falls. Once soiled, SorbIts® are professionally laundered for reuse.
The SorbIts® absorbent recycling and reuse program helps companies eliminate solid landfill waste, reduce cost, and achieve ISO 14001 objectives. SorbIts® oil absorbents are serviced by ITU AbsorbTech throughout the U.S.